Recognize the Girl Scout volunteers you know by nominating them for a Council or Service Unit Award!
Review all the different awards and submit completed nomination form(s) either via e-mail, no later than December 6, 2013, to Shirley Stevens , or postmarked by December 6, 2013 to:
Girl Scouts of the Missouri Heartland
Attn: Council Awards – Shirley Stevens
1432 Kurre Lane
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
Awards will be presented at the Girl Scouts of the Missouri Heartland Volunteer recognition Ceremony on Saturday, March 22, 2014.
Tips for nominating a volunteer for recognition:
- Review the award description, especially the criteria, in its entirety to best match the volunteer and their service with the appropriate award. See full descriptions here.
- Remember that the committee is looking for service above and beyond the expectations for their volunteer role.
- The person making the nomination cannot submit a letter of endorsement for the nomination. These must come from additional people who can attest to the level of service the volunteer provides.
- Provide as much supporting information as possible. The committee is relying solely on what is provided when reviewing and voting on nomination, so give specific examples.
- Ensure that all supporting documentation is submitted along with the nomination form.
LINGO to know:
GSLE – Girl Scout Leadership Experience: Encompasses everything we know and love about Girl Scouts – troops, camp, events, patches, cookies, etc. – and enhances these elements with critical leadership processes and outcomes.
National Program Portfolio (NPP) – Has two main parts: the National Leadership Journeys and the Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting. This is complemented by the Girl Scout Cookie program, Girl Scout travel, and Girl Scout awards. The NPP is designed to help girls develop as leaders and build confidence by learning new skills. It also ensures that Girl Scouts at every level are sharing a powerful, national experience – girls together changing the world!
Council Recognitions Committee – A committee consisting of fellow volunteers from around the council’s jurisdiction. These volunteers review all nominations, approve or make recommendations if necessary and submit them to the Board of Directors. The committee works in partnership with the Leadership and Learning Specialist – Volunteerism.
Supporting Documentation – Any additional “proof” that supports the nominations, such as membership reports, product sale reports, pictures, program reports, etc.
Geographic Area of Service – A specific county or service unit.