2013 Girl Scout Week Suggested Activities
Sunday, March 10: Girl Scout Sunday. Visit your church of choice or enjoy a walk in nature.
Monday, March 11: Tell a non-Girl Scout friend about Girl Scouting. Let them know about all the fun things Girl Scouts do and learn!
Tuesday, March 12: Girl Scout Birthday. Show your pride by wearing a Girl Scout uniform, t-shirt, or pin!
Wednesday, March 13: Support Girl Scouting worldwide by collecting at least 101 pennies to give to the Juliette Gordon Low World Friendship Fund.
Thursday, March 14: Learn about Girl Scout history – there are over 100 years of interesting material!
Friday, March 15: Enjoy a Girl Scout tradition – making s’mores – with Girl Scout friends or family!
Saturday, March 16: Girl Scout Sabbath. Get a group together for a day of community service.
by Shandon Hill
Pinterest is an online sharing service that allows members to “pin” images and video onto virtual pin boards.
Whether you’re a seasoned expert with projects to share or a newbie looking for inspiration, Pinterest can be an excellent resource for your Girl Scout troop!
Here are some basic Pinterest terms:
Board: a virtual cork or pin board
Pin: noun – images and video you put on your board are “pins”
verb – the act of putting a picture or video on a board is “pinning”
Repin: If you like someone else’s pin, you can “repin” it and place the picture on an appropriate board of your own
Like: If you like a pin, but it doesn’t fit into your own boards, you can click a button to “like” it.
Service Unit 734 uses a Pinterest board to share craft ideas. Below are a couple of pins posted on their board:
Cookie thank you card
Bridging cake idea
For more information on Pinterest, please join me at the “Oh, How Pinteresting!” session at GSMH Leader’s Weekend 2013. Register quickly because space is limited! The registration packet is available here.
GSMH is pleased to introduce the all new Online Registration system! Beginning in time for Early Bird, Girl Scouts of the Missouri Heartland girls and adults will be able to renew, or create new, their memberships through the web.
ROSE is our new little owl friend who will be helping us roll out the Online Registration system. ROSE stands for Registration On-line Simple & Easy, and she’s coming soon to the GSMH website. When you see ROSE on the website click on her to take you to the Online Registration system.
Volunteers, this is a great opportunity to finally be done with all the hassle and paperwork that come with membership registrations! No more collecting and sending in forms. Encourage your girls’ parents and guardians to use the easy Online Registration system to renew their memberships beginning with Early Bird.
(Never fear: All completed Online Registrations still count toward Early Bird totals and patches. Additionally, girls who have their registrations completed online will receive a special Online Registration patch that features ROSE!)
Here are some of the reasons why you’ll want to have your parents and guardians completing Online Registration instead of you, the volunteer:
- They will be able to register from home, any time of day.
- Information at the council will be more accurate than ever as the parents and guardians themselves will be responsible for entering all information without it being copied and entered by someone else.
- Families will feel more involved in their daughter’s Girl Scout Leadership Experience.
- When a parent or guardian registers their girl, the leader does not have to collect and send any signatures to the council—it’s an entirely paperless system! (Alternatively, when a troop leader registers a girl, a paper registration and signature from that girl’s parent or guardian would still have to be collected and sent in to the council.)
- Volunteers will be free to spend more time working with girls instead of with membership registration.
- No backlog! Online Registration memberships are active and counted in the system immediately without the delays of passing the registration from person to person to council staff.
Of course, parents and guardians won’t have all the fun. Troop leaders (01s) will be able to use Online Registration to print troop rosters and manage multiple troops.
To experience Online Registration, simply go to www.girlscoutsmoheartland.org/rose beginning April 15, 2013. There you will also find guides, videos, and an FAQ to help you use the Online Registration system.